Second Pregnancy

Second Pregnancy

Home Forums Pregnancy Second Pregnancy

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jennifer Jennifer 7 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Profile photo of Ann Redmond
    Ann Redmond

Participant

This is my second pregnancy and I seen to have developed SPD earlier thn last time. Is there anything I could be doing to help delay/ improve the symptoms please.?

Profile photo of Antenatal Online
    Antenatal Online

Keymaster

Hi Ann
    During pregnancy the body releases a hormone called relaxin which allows the ligaments of the body to relax and stretch slightly. This allows the pelvis to be a little more flexible and slightly larger in diameter during delivery in order to allow the baby to pass through more easily. Pregnancy will allow the symphsis pubis joint to increase in width (from one bone end to the other) from the normal 4-5 mm to 9mm, the gap being filled with cartilage. Many other joint symptoms can be partly due to this relaxation of ligaments. Please see the blog I did recently on this at https://www.antenatalonline.ie/pelvic-girdle-pain-pgp-in-pregnancy/ which gives a range of options which may help to improve your symptoms

Regards

Jo Scobie

Profile photo of Jennifer
    Jennifer

Participant

To understand your pregnancy it’s good to take the health education for antenatal mother course.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.