Round Ligament Syndrome

Round Ligament Syndrome

Home Forums Pregnancy Round Ligament Syndrome

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Antenatal Online Antenatal Online 4 years ago.

• Author

Profile photo of Susie Leamy
    Susie Leamy

Participant

I was told I have round ligament syndrome, should I be worried? I have pain in my groin, hips and thighs that gets worse as the day goes on. I have been told to rest as much as possible.

Profile photo of Antenatal Online
    Antenatal Online

Keymaster

Round Ligament Pain (RLP) is due to normal changes that take place as your body is transformed by pregnancy.
    What are round ligaments? Normally the uterus is the size of a pear and thick ligaments, one of which is called the round ligament, hold your uterus in suspension within your abdomen. As the uterus grows in size and weight, these ligaments become very long and thin, stressing and tensing like rubber bands.
    What causes the pain? As your uterus stretches these ligaments stretch with it. This stretching can cause a grabbing or shooting pain in your abdomen or groin area.These ligaments pull and tug on nearby nerve fibres and sensitive structures causing pain. Although round ligament pain is uncomfortable, it is also very normal.
    How do I relieve the pain and discomfort? There are a few things you can try. Avoid sudden movements and by moving slowly when you sit or stand or roll over in bed. A maternity belt may help to support the ligament and relieve some of the discomfort. you may also want to brace your abdomen when you cough or sneeze as this can trigger round ligament pain. The best remedy for Round Ligament Pain is rest

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.