During delivery

During delivery

Home Forums Pregnancy During delivery

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Antenatal Online Antenatal Online 3 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Profile photo of blondie15
    blondie15

Participant

Hi,

I have heard that many pregnant women have bowel movements during their delivery, I am just wondering is this true? I have also heard that if I don’t have a bowel movement that I am not pushing right??!

Thank you

(from a very embarrassed pregnant lady!)

Profile photo of Madonna
    Madonna

Participant

I was most embarrassed when the nurses came in to change my pad right on the bed. HUGE clots came out…no one ever said clots the size of golf balls would be coming out!!!! (p.s. I had a c-section)

Profile photo of Antenatal Online
    Antenatal Online

Keymaster

Very often in early labour or before labour starts women can experience diarrhoea natures way of emptying your bowel in preparation for labour. With all the pushing that’s going on in the 2nd stage it’s not surprising that approx half of all women will have a very small bowel movement, but be reassured midwives are very discreet and you will never know it happened.

Profile photo of blondie15
      blondie15

Participant

That’s great to know!! Hopefully nature will take it’s course, and I suppose whatever happens during the delivery the midwives are well used to it!! Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Also, is there anything you can recommend for heartburn?

Profile photo of Antenatal Online
    Antenatal Online

Keymaster

Hi blonde heart burn is very common in pregnancy you may need to look at your diet and avoid greasy or spicey foods, there are many antacids you can use and can be purchased across the counter from the pharmacy but please check with your midwife or doctor first.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.